Monday, December 26, 2011

Remember, This December, That Love Weighs More Than Gold.


     A couple of days ago I had to step back, take a moment to collect myself and ask – where has the year gone?! Seems like just a few months ago we were taking down the mistletoe and Christmas tree, packing it away for the year to come. I know for me it is too easy to get caught up in the daily routine and to forget to slow down and appreciate the days that are going by. Nonetheless, this is the day I wait for, Christmas day; I love everything about it. Everyone comes together creating a spirit that is nothing less than infectious. You realize the little things that drove you to your end really may not be such a nuisance. It is this day that we are reminded just how blessed we are. While we may not have everything we would like, there are so many people out there wishing to have half of what we are blessed with; the things we often take for granted. Today marks a spiritual and mental rebirth, a reawakening of the true meaning of being fortunate. I think everyone should take that step back and look at what they have. Figure out what is dear to them, and never take it for granted. My mother always says “If you and everyone else put their problems on the table, and you compared yours to everyone else’s, you would pick yours up and walk away.”  Tis’ the season to be thankful, what are you thankful for?



     Our meal was different than any other Christmas dinner we have prepared. I ventured out and cooked my first leg of Lamb. It slowly roasted for 7 hours. The meat was falling off of the bone it was so juicy and tender. The flavors were subtle, and when paired with the mint salsa they were taken to a whole different level. Another first was making the Napoleans; these looked so pretty and I couldn’t resist (despite the fact that they were made with beets). If it were not for my dad, I would not have made them. Prior to today, we only had one beet eater in the house. Beets have always had a “barnyardy” taste about them that was off putting. The goat cheese and vinaigrette neutralizes that overpowering flavor, and I have to say that I am now starting to see the beauty of the unpretentious beet. The Lima Bean Mash surprised me. I was thinking it would be basic with not a lot of character, but I was very wrong. Robust garlic flavor with a hint of the buttery beans, this dip was the perfect appetizer. Humble  Pita chips were the perfect vehicle for serving the dip.

Tomorrow I will be posting the recipes for the dishes I prepared today.

Hope Everyone had a wonderful Christmas Holiday filled with love and joy.


Christmas Menu:
·       Lima Bean Mash with Lemon and Olive Oil
·       Beet and Goat Cheese Napoleans
·       Seven-Hour Leg of Lamb with Mint Salsa Verde
·       Ratatouille
·       Lemon Risotto (not pictured)
Recipes can be viewed here.



Lima Bean Mash with Lemon and Olive Oil


Ratatouille


Seven-Hour Leg of Lamb with Mint Salsa


Beet Napoleans







No comments:

Post a Comment