Friday, May 18, 2012

Strawberries in Meyer Lemon Syrup



Hello hello! It's been sometime since my last post, but that doesn't mean I haven't been keeping busy. I finished my last semester at junior college, went to the Haute Wheels Food Truck Festival. I know this post is a little late, but bear with me!

While at the store picking up a few things for dinner, as always, I find something I need that isn't on my list. Strawberries right now are just beautiful and I couldn't pass them up. I’ve always been a big fan of strawberries, and I can say without shame that possibly my favorite way to eat them is still dipped in chocolate. However I can never just eat one or two of them. So to keep things “healthy and light” I opted for this recipe I found on Cooking Light’s website. It was so simple yet so refreshing and perfect for the time that I had. It was a great way to finish off a heavy dinner, and convenient to boot. (Of course this would also be lovely as a midday refresher on a hot summer day – maybe throw in blueberries and add lemon zest?)  


The directions are simple and there isn’t much more to it than what you see – no surprises 
here. I loved how the strawberries, which were naturally sweet, were tamed by the lemon juice. I was afraid that the extra sugar would make this far too sweet, but was pleased to find that not true. If you aren’t a fan of lemon, than I would reduce the lemon juice to 2tbs. Also I used Meyer Lemons as the recipe calls for. If you are using regular lemons, I would suggest starting out with 2tbs, tasting, then adding more as desired. For the topping, I whipped 1/4c of heavy cream with a splash of almond extract to cut the milky taste. If using a hand mixer, I always freeze the bowl and beaters 15 minutes before I need them. I found this helps the cream to form and keep its peaks.

Enjoy!


"Strawberries are the angels of the earth, innocent and sweet with green leafy wings reaching heavenward." ~Terri Guillemets

Strawberries in Meyer Lemon Syrup





Ingredients
4 cups quartered small strawberries
1/4 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup whipping cream

Directions
1. Place berries, juice, and sugar in a large bowl; toss gently to coat. Cover and chill 20 minutes.
2. Place cream in a medium bowl; stir constantly with a whisk until soft peaks form. Serve whipped cream with berry mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment